Subject: Synth/MIDI/Analog/Acoustic Bibligraphy (95K - LONG!)
From: [email-masked] (Mark Frazer Bower)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 94 13:41:41 EST

Here's the list of books I received from various sources from around the
world. Some of these may be out of print, and some may not be published
in all countrys. I don't know about the contents of the books, I've
only compiled this list.

A big thanks to all the submitters, both direct and indirect. Cheers.

Enjoy,

Mark

#############################################################################
Title: MIDI Projects 
Author: R.A. Penfold
Language: (e.g. if not english) English
Audience: (e.g. technical ? non-tech ? simple ?) Simple .... ish
Publisher: Bernard Babani
ISBN Number: 0-85934-156-9

Summary/Abstract (breif): Build your own MIDI/CV-gate adaptor. MIDI
interfaces for popular home computers. MIDI general theory. Simple mono
sequencers.

Keywords: Still in Print ?: (if you know) Yes
Price: (if you can remember) 2.95 Irish pounds (US$4 approx.)
Where and when bought (if you can remember): Peats of Parnell Street (Dublin)
##############################################################################

Title:Electronic Music Circuits
Author:Barry Klein
Language: (e.g. if not english)
Audience: Technical, for those who like to build.
Publisher:H.W. Sams
ISBN Number:0-672-21833-Xu{

Summary/Abstract (breif):A nice overview of synthesizer circuits.  A 
good reference for DIY enthusiasts.  Some of the circuits are no longer 
possible because they require SSM chips, but many are.  Beware:  Some of 
the circuit diagrams have errors in them.

Keywords:  Synth construction, circuitry, musical electronics theory
Still in Print ?: I doubt it.
Price: (if you can remember)
Where and when bought (if you can remember):Found it at a library
##############################################################################

a new book recently has appeared on my desk, which i find quite exciting,
and would like to tell you about.
the book is volume 8 in the computer music and digital audio series
edited by our old buddy john strawn and published by a-r editions,
and is by far the best of the series as far as scope and depth are
concerned.
it is called Synthesizer Performance And Realtime Techniques, and is
authored by jeff pressing, about whom i know nothing.
allow me to provide a chapter listing, with sub-chapter brief:

1: the synthesizer as instrument
      fixed and realtime synthesis
      the improvisation-composition continuum
      aesthetics, style, and function
2: synthesis, sampling, and software
      tuning and temperament
      synthesis and sampling
      musical qualities and synthesis
3: midi
      midi messages
      standard midi files
      midi diagnosis
      limitations of midi
4: synthesizer technique
      contemporary synthesizer keyboard technique
      voice assignment: monophonic and polyphonic modes
      velocity and pressure maps
      performance with standard continuous controllers
5: playing a single line
      realtime control of pitch
      timing
      timbre
      articulation and phrasing
      notation for synthesizer
      the synthetic implementation of expressivity
6: polyphonic performance and extended techniques
      part disposition
      dovetail voicings
      polyphonic pitch bend
      keyboard retuning
      velocity effects
      using unpredictability
7: performance configurations and practicalities
      layering
      practical issues in live performance
      live performance with prerecorded music
8: sound and instrument imitation
      sustaining breath instruments: brass and winds
      the voice
      decaying instruments: plucked strings
      instrumental third-streaming
9: nonkeyboard controllers
      pitch-to-midi converters
      bowed string controllers
      percussion controllers
10: synthesizer ensembles and repertoire
      discographical sources
      performance problems in electroacoustic ensembles
11: intelligent and interactive performance systems
      an analytical and historical framework
      cybernetics of the control interface
      cybernetics if intelligent midi systems

the book is comprehensively indexed, and runs to 462 pages. now, even in that
many pages some of the above areas get a little shortchanged. i'm sure that
most of you could, after all, see an entire book in each chapter heading.
things like midi diagnosis and controller descriptions actually only get
a single page, rather than any kind of serious treatment. what the book excels
in, however, is a musically relevant presentation. it is full of score
material, data, and exercises. as you can tell from the chapter list,
it builds from a set of synthesis and related fundamentals to a core which
emphasizes how to actually make music with these instruments, and then
resolves to more abstract issues of sound design and control. the book is
written for the musician who may know absolutely nothing about synthesizers
to begin with, and attempts to tell them everything they need to know in
order to make both rational and creative decisions. on the one hand, this
means that a good deal of the writing simply makes explicit what alot of
us who have been using these machines for years already understand, although
may not have bothered to articulate. descriptions of portamento control, for
instance, tend toward this. they are very detailed, but tell me nothing
new. but again, and this is the other hand, they are *very* detailed, and
this level of detail sometimes triggers new ideas even for the familiar reader.
the treatments of the requirements, capabilities, and implications of
performance controls and techniques is the most thorough i have ever seen,
and i think anyone here would find significant value in it.
a-r editions' phone number is 1-800-736-0070. for library or bookstore,
the isbn is 0-89579-257-5.

############################################################################

   Barry Klein, Electronic Music Circuits, Howard D. Sams & Co., Inc.,
   Indianapolis, USA 1982, ISBN 0-672-21833-X, 302 pages.
      - analog circuitry for music synthesizers
      - synthesizer design
      - construction methods
      - gives secrets of many special-effect devices used by
        musicians
      - contains a minimum of mathematics

#############################################################################

   Thomas H. Wells, The Technique of Electronic Music,
   Schirmer Books, New York, 1981, ISBN 0-02-872830-0, 303 pages
      - gives some circuitry diagrams for constructing
        different devices for sound processing
      - also teaches how use these devices as a musician

#############################################################################

   Also of good value could be the book
   Delton T. Horn, Trobleshooting & Repairing Electronic Music
   Synthesizers, TAB Books (McGraw-Hill), Blue Ridge Summit, PA, USA,
   1992, ISBN 0-8306-3921-7, 206 pages.
      - contents as the book name implies
      - analog synthesizers
      - digital synthesizers
      - effects devices
      - MIDI

##############################################################################

   If you are interested also in using tape recorders in sound
   manipulation, just have a look at the book
   David Keane, Tape Music Composition, Oxford University Press,
   London, 1980, ISBN 0-19-311919-6, 148 pages.
      - how to use reel-to-reel tape recorder in sound processing
        and "tape music" composition

#############################################################################

>A while back, someone mentioned the name of a book that explained all
>electronic aspects of signal matching of audio devices.
>
>Can someone repost the Title, Author and ISBN of this book please ?

Yup, the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook.  Something like
$US39.95 at BookStar in paperback.  Possibly at a larger W. H. Smug,
definitely at Foyle's (sp?).

#############################################################################
	Craig Anderton
	Electronic Projects For Musicians
	<publisher>?
	<date>?
	<ISBN>?

#############################################################################
One book on fundamentals which has helped me out greatly is "Sound Advice:
a Musician's Guide to the Recording Studio." Wayne Wadhams, New York:
Schirmer Books, London: Collier MacMillan, 1990.

#############################################################################

	Here is another title to add to the bibliography:

	Electronics and Construction Technique:

	"Electronic Music Circuits" by Barry Klein. This was written
	in 1982. Many of the designs use the CEM or SSM chips but not
	all do. There are many circuits in this book. The book also 
	has detailed descriptions of the chips (including reprints of
	the data sheets in an appendix). There is also alot of construction
	techniques and helpful hints. As I have stated earlier, I haven't
	designed any modules myself but I have built various convenience
	modules (power supplies, converter modules, etc.) at times. This book
	has come in handy at those times.

###############################################################################

Q1.1.5: Digital Audio Effects Processing.

Books (in no particular order, sorry):

Hal Chamberlin, Musical Applications of Microprocessors, 2nd Ed.,
Hayden Book Company, 1985.
Barry Blesser and J. Kates. "Digital Processing in Audio Signals." In A. V.
Oppenheim, ed. Applications of Digital Signal Processing. Englewood Cliffs, 
NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1978.

Digital Signal Processing Committee of IEEE Acoustics, Speech, and Signal
Processing Society, ed. Programs for Digital Signal Processing. New York:
IEEE Press, 1979.

John Strawn, ed., "Digital Audio Signal Processing: An Anthology.", Los Altos,
CA: W. Kaufmann, 1985.   [Contains Moorer J.A. "About This Reverb..."
and contains an article which gives a code for Phase Vocoder -- great
tool for EQ, for Pitchshifter and more --Juhana Kouhia]

Charles Dodge and Thomas A. Jerse. Computer Music: Synthesis, Composition,
and Performance. New York: Schirmer Books, 1985.

F. Richard Moore, "Elements of Computer Music", Englewood Cliffs, NJ:
Prentice-Hall, 1990.  ISBN: 0-13252-552-6 [Recommended.  --Juhana Kouhia]

Curtis Roads and John Strawn, ed., "The Foundations of Computer Music",
Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1985.  [Contains article on analysis/synthesis
by Strawn, recommended; also an another article maybe by J.A. Moorer
-- Juhana Kouhia]

John Strawn, ed., "Digital Audio Signal Processing", 283 pages,
$34.95, ISBN 0-86576-082-9, pub: A-R Editions.  Contents:

        1. Introduction to the mathematics of DSP (F. Richard Moore)
           [Not a bad little text]

        2. Introduction to digital filter theory (Julius O. Smith)
           [Not a bad little text, either]

        3. Spiral Synthesis (Tracy Lind Petersen)
           [first published account of a new synthesis technique]

        4. Signal processing aspects of computer music (J. A. Moorer)
           [James Moorer's classic article--discusses many synthesis
           techniques.  Reverb algorithms.  More than 6 pages of refs]

        5. An introduction to the phase vocoder (J. W. Gordon, J. Strawn)
           [Includes source code for a phase vocoder--a powerful method
           for synthesis, pitch shifting, time scale modification, etc.]
        [Comments by Quinn Jensen].
           
Curtis Road, ed., "Composers and the Computer", 201 pages,
$27.95, ISBN 0-86576-085-3, pub: A-R Editions.

John Strawn, ed., "Digital Audio Engineering", 144 pages,
$29.95, ISBN 0-86576-087-X pub: A-R Editions.

Deta S. Davis, "Computer Applications in Music: A Bibliography", 537 pages,
$49.95, ISBN 0-89579-225-7, pub: A-R Editions.

Ken C. Pohlmann, "The Compact Disc:  A Handbook of Theory and Use",
288 pages, $45.95 (cloth) ISBN 0-89579-234-6, $29.95 (paper)
ISBN 0-89579-228-1, pub: A-R Editions.

Forthcoming books:

Curtis Roads, "A Computer Music History:  Musical Automation 
from Antiquity to the Computer Age"

Joseph Rothstein, "MIDI:  A Comprehensive Introduction"

David Cope, "Computer Analysis of Musical Style"

Dexter Morrill and Rick Taube, "A Little Book of Computer Music
Instruments"

Articles:
 
James A. Moorer, "About This Reverberation Business", Computer Music Journal
3, 20 (1979): 13-28. (Also in Foundations of CM below).
[Ok article, but you have to know basic DSP operations.  --Juhana Kouhia]

Check more articles from Journal of the Audio Engineering Society
(JAES), for example more articles by Strawn.

Note: books published by A-R editions can be ordered from:

        A-R Editions
        801 Deming Way
        Madison, Wisconsin 53717
        608-836-9000 (They accept VISA orders)

[The above is largely from Quinn Jensen, [email-masked];
Juhana Kouhia, [email-masked]; William Alves, [email-masked];
and Paul A Simoneau, [email-masked]]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Elements of Computer Music" is a nice book that explains a lot of synthesis
techniques. I have it myself. Recommended!

###############################################################################

   For those who are interested, here's a partial list of books available from
Babani Press. Some of these are by R.A. Penfold, some are not. Here goes :

    BP81        -       Electronic Synthesizer Projects
    BP90        -       Audio Projects
    BP122       -       Audio Amplifier Design
    BP173       -       Computer Music Projects
    BP174       -       More Advanced Electronic Music Projects
    BP182       -       MIDI Projects   
    BP185       -       Electronic Synthesizer Construction
    BP238       -       Linear IC Selector Guide
    BP245       -       Digital Audio Projects
    BP246       -       Musical Applications of the Atari ST
    BP247       -       More Advanced MIDI Projects

This is *not* the full list. If anyone is looking for any of these, I may be
able to buy or order them and send them on.

Related :
    
> how do we (in the usa) get hold of the distributer or the publisher? 
> do they deal with overseas sales? if not so but if i may ask you to help
> me getting a copy of bp185, i'd be very grateful.
> 
> it's been unavailable here since 1991. but we can get other titles from:
> 
>       electronic technology today, inc
>       p.o. box 240
>       massapequa park, ny 11762-0240
> 
> i have midi projects and advanced midi project, wasn't particularly
> impressed by those titles, though. synthesizer construction might be
> a good thing to have handy, nevertheless. 
> 

I have BP185. In fact, it's here in front of me !! It's not too bad.
It contains various circuits VCO, VCF, EG, LFO, noise, sequencer,etc.
John Tuffen has already claimed this book, but I'll see if I can find another
one!!

The address for Babani Press is :

Bernard Babani (publishing) LTD,
The Grampians,
Shepherd's Bush Road,
London W6 7NF
Great Britain

It says in the back of the book that they will accept mail order. Here's
some more titles that may be of interest :

   BP74         -       Electronic Music Projects
   BP90         -       Audio Projects
   BP106        -       Modern Op-Amp Projects
   BP122        -       Audio Amplifier Construction

#############################################################################

Posted-By: auto-faq 2.4
Archive-name: music/midi/bibliography

Version: $Id: bibliography,v 1.5 1993/06/28 09:17:13 piet Exp $

This is a bibliography on synthesizers, midi, computer and electronic music
that I have collected from various sources. I have tried to bring some
structure into it, but not all books will fit into a single subject.
NOTE: I haven't read these books, and the comments are from other people.
On some of them I lost the original commentor's name. Sorry about that. If
you have additions or correction to this information, please mail me.  The
latest version of this file can be obtained by ftp from ftp.cs.ruu.nl
[131.211.80.17] in MIDI/DOC/bibliography or by mail from
[email-masked] (send a message with HELP in the body).

------------------------------ MIDI ------------------------------

    Title: Computer music in C / Phil Winsor & Gene DeLisa.
Publisher: Blue Ridge Summit, PA : TAB Books (Windcrest label), c1991.
 Subjects: Computer sound processing.
           Computer composition.
           C (Computer program language)
           Midi programming
     ISBN: 0-8306-3637-4 (p) : $22.95
It has a C source disk for the PC available for $25.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Mind over MIDI / edited by Dominic Milano ; by the editors
            of Keyboard magazine.
Publisher: Milwaukee, WI : H. Leonard Books, c1987.
Series Name: The Keyboard magazine basic library
Other Series Names: Keyboard synthesizer library.
 Subjects: MIDI (Standard)
           Computer sound processing.
     ISBN: 0-88188-551-7 (pbk.) : $12.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: MIDI- und sound-buch zum Atari ST. English
    Title: MIDI and sound book for the Atari ST / Bernd Enders and
            Wolfgang Klemme.
Publisher: Redwood City, Calif. : M & T Pub., c1989.
 Subjects: Computer music--Instruction and study.
           Computer sound processing.
           MIDI (Standard)
           Atari ST computers--Programming.
     ISBN: 1-55851-042-7 : $17.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Atari ST Introduction to MIDI Programming
  Len Dorfman and Dennis Young
  ISBN 0-916439-77-1

        Bantam Books,Inc.
        666 5th Avenue
        New York,New York
        10103
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Music through MIDI : using MIDI to create your own
            electronic music system / Michael Boom.
Publisher: Redmond, Wash. : Microsoft Press, c1987.
 Subjects: MIDI (Standard)
 Subjects: Musical instruments, Electronic.
 Subjects: Electronic music--Instruction and study.
 Subjects: Computer sound processing.
     ISBN: 1-55615-026-1 (pbk.) : $19.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: The MIDI drummer : by a drummer for a drummer-- / by David
            Crigger.
Publisher: Newbury Park, CA : Alexander Pub., c1987.
 Subjects: Electronic percussion instruments--Instruction and study.
           MIDI (Standard)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: MIDI for guitarists / by Bob Ward and Marty Cutler ;
Publisher: London ; New York : Amsco Publications ; New York, NY, USA
            : Exclusive distributors Music Sales Corp., c1988.
 Subjects: Electric guitar--Instruction and study.
           MIDI (Standard)
     ISBN: 0-8256-1126-1 (U.S.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: MIDI for musicians / by Craig Anderton.
Publisher: New York : Amsco Publications, c1986.
 Subjects: MIDI (Standard)
           Computer sound processing.
     ISBN: 0-8256-1050-8 (pbk.)
     ISBN: 0-8256-2214-X (pbk. : cover)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: MIDI guitar : a complete applications directory for the
            modern guitarist / [by Rey Sanchez ; forward [sic] by
            Randy Bernsen].
Publisher: Miami, FL : CPP/Belwin, c1988.
 Subjects: MIDI (Standard)
           Computer sound processing.
           Electric guitar.
     ISBN: 0-89898-544-7 : $15.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Midi guitar and synthesis : the basics of guitar synthesis
            / by Paul Youngblood.
Publisher: Milwaukee, WI : H. Leonard Pub. Co., c1989.
 Subjects: MIDI (Standard)
           Computer sound processing.
           Electric guitar.
     ISBN: 0-88188-886-9 : $14.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: The MIDI home studio / by Howard Massey.
Publisher: London ; New York : Amsco Publications ; New York, NY, USA
            : Music Sales Corp. [distributor], c1988.
     ISBN: 0-8256-1127-X (U.S.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: The MIDI manual / David Miles Huber.
Publisher: Carmel, Ind., USA : Howard W. Sams, c1991.
     ISBN: 0-672-22757-6, 250pp.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: The MIDI programmer's handbook / Steve De Furia and Joe
            Scacciaferro, Ferro Technologies.
Publisher: Redwood City, Calif. : M&T Pub., c1989.
     ISBN: 1-55851-068-0, 250 pp.  Paperback. $24.95 Mix Bookshelf part # 3539C

New, advanced MIDI desk reference is perfect for programmers and MIDI power
users.  The heart of the book is a summary and explanation of every MIDI
command, in hex, binary, decimal and English.  Also features detailed
discussion of software design concerns, synchronization formats, MTC,
sample dump, MIDI files and system exclusive processing.

It discusses writing software to handle MIDI information at the application
level.  In other words, they assume you have already written or otherwise
obtained access to the necessary code to talk to your hardware to send and
receive the MIDI data.  This approach frees the entire discussion from
being tied to any particular hardware or programming approach.  Instead, it
spends its time on that which is valuable to the experienced programmer.
Issues such as MIDI file format, timing (SMPTE, MTC, etc), parsing MIDI
data and processing it, MIDI sample dump standard, etc. are all handled in
fine detail.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE MIDI IMPLEMENTATION BOOK, Defuria & Scacciaferro
Contains complete documentation of MIDI commands implemented by more than
200 instruments.  This data has come directly from hardware manufacturers
and allows you to find MIDI functions of specific instruments, compare
features of similar instruments and choose equipment to meet specific
applications.  A standard, one-page implementation chart is used for each
product.  1986, 216 pp. $19.95

Mix Bookshelf, 1-800-233-9604 (US & Canada).  Doesn't say who publishes
it, and its terribly out-dated (1986), but they might have published
another addition by now.

The MIDI System Exclusive Book by Steve De Furia and Joe Scacciaferra,
Third Earth Productions, Pompton Lakesm N.J. Distributed by Hal
Leonard Books. Sorry no ISBN

The MIDI Resource Book.  Same guys. ISBN 0-88188-587-8
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: MIDI programming for the Macintosh / Steve De Furia and Joe
            Scacciaferro.
Publisher: Redwood City, CA : M&T Books, 1988.
 Subjects: MIDI (Standard)
           Computer sound processing.
           Macintosh (Computer)--Programming.
     ISBN: 1-55851-021-4 : $22.95
     ISBN: 1-55851-022-2 (book & disk) : $39.95
     ISBN: 1-55851-023-0 (disk) : $20.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: C Programming for MIDI / Jim Conger.
Publisher: Redwood City, Calif. : M&T Books, 1989.
                501 Galveston Drive Redwood City, CA 94063
 Subjects: MIDI, C, sequencing
This book shows how to use the basic features of an MPU-401 interface.
Includes a disk with MS-DOS code.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: MIDI sequencing in C / Jim Conger.
Publisher: Redwood City, Calif. : M&T Books, 1989.
                501 Galveston Drive Redwood City, CA 94063
 Subjects: MIDI (Standard)
           C (Computer program language)
           Sequential processing (Computer science)
     ISBN: 1-55851-045-1 (book) : $24.95
     ISBN: 1-55851-047-8 (disk) : $20.00
     ISBN: 1-55851-046-X (set) : $39.95
This book continues where the provious one lefts off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: MIDI systems and control / Francis Rumsey.
Publisher: London ; Boston : Focal Press, 1990.
 Subjects: MIDI (Standard)
           Computer sound processing.
     ISBN: 0-240-51300-2 : $14.95 (U.S.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: MIDI, the ins, outs & thrus / by Jeff Rona ; edited by
            Ronny S. Schiff.
Publisher: Milwaukee, Wis. : H. Leonard Books, c1987.
    Notes: "A complete guide to the understanding, use, and buying of
            MIDI instruments"--Cover.
 Subjects: MIDI (Standard)
           Computer sound processing.
     ISBN: 0-88188-560-6 (pbk.) : $12.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joseph Rothstein, _MIDI:  A Comprehensive Introduction_
------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Microsoft Press put out a book on midi programming.  I
   think that this is rather a weak book, but it might serve
   as an introduction for non-computer folk.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Several other books are out that were written by musicians.
   They are interesting as a intro to using midi, but contain
   a dearth of info from my perspective.  As a programmer, I
   have the wrong perspective to sort these out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Real Time MIDI performance interfaces
        Dannenberg, "...computer accompaniment..."  ICMC87, ICMC85(??)
        (maybe "Bloch and Dannenberg", don't have it handy)
        X. Chabot ??

------------------------------ SYNTHESIS ------------------------------

Title: Build a better music synthesizer / Thomas Henry.

Publication Info: Blue Ridge Summit, PA : Tab Books, c1987.
Subjects: Synthesizer (Musical instrument)--Construction.6

ISBN: 0-8306-0255-0 : $17.95
ISBN: 0-8306-2755-3 (pbk.) : $11.45
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Musical Applications of Microprocessors
Hal Chamberlin
ISBN 0-8104-5773-3
1980, still in print.
I have seen two editions: mine from the early 80's, and a hardback
that my friend has from the late 80's.  His has 68000 assember
for an FFT routine.

Hayden Book Company, Inc.
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Rochelle Park, NJ

This covers analog and digital sound synthesis from an experimenter's
perspective, not much math, lots of algorithms and circuits.  If you want
to solder and program in your garage and make lots of weird sounds, this is
the bible.  Lots of BASIC programs, but they're very short, just to
demonstrate algorithms.  It's a few years old now and the electronic
devices used in the book are dated, but the explanations and principles are
still valid.  It discusses things such as real time synthesis, play back of
stored soundwaves, sampling, running multiple D-As in parallel, software
for computing soundwaves (it even covers Fast Fourier Transforms) and more.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Computer music : synthesis, composition, and performance /
            Charles Dodge, Thomas A. Jerse.
Publisher: New York : Schirmer Books, c1985.
 Subjects: Computer music--Instruction and study.
           Computer composition.
     ISBN: 0-02-873100-X
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moore, F. Richard. Elements of Computer Music. Englewood Cliffs, NJ:
Prentice-Hall, 1990.
$38.00 + $4.00 shipping UPS surface
ISBN: 0-13252-552-6
Lots of stuff on software synthesis, and more, all centered around cmusic
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This book is very well "A syntesist's Guide to Acoustic Instruments"
Amsco Publications,New York, 1987
author: H.Massey

I found the Howard Massey "Sysnthesists Guide to Acoustic Instruments"
to be a pretty good book for general synthesizer knowledge, mostly
because it doesn't try to explain the specifics of a synth.
.David Elliott
[email-masked] | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Schottstaedt, Bill. "The Simulation of Natural Instrument Tones Using
Frequency Modulation with a Complex Modulating Wave." Computer Music
Journal 1, 4 (1977): 46-50.
also in:
Roads, Curtis and John Strawn, ed.The Foundations of Computer Music.
Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1985.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
J. Chowning
"The Synthesis of Complex Audio Spectra by Means of Frequency
 Modulation"
J. Audio Eng. Soc. 21, no. 7 (1973):526-534
[This is the standard reference.]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
J. Chowning and D. Bristow
"FM Theory and Applications by Musicians for Musicians"
Yamaha Music Foundation, Tokyo, 1986
ISBN 4-636-17482-8
[Could be difficult to find.]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marc LeBrun
"A derivation of the Spectrum of FM with a Complex Modulating Wave."
Computer Music Journal Volume 1, Number 4. 1977, pages 51-52.
Also in Roads and Strawn, Foundations of Computer Music.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marc LeBrun
"Digital Waveshaping Synthesis"
Journal of the AES, 27(4), 1979: 250-266
------------------------------------------------------------------------
J.A. Moorer
"The synthesis of Complex Audio Spectra by Means of Discrete
 Summation Formulae"
Music Department, Stanford U., 1975 (Report no. STAN-M-5.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moore, F. Richard. "Table Lookup Noise for Sinusoidal Digital Oscillators."
     Computer Music Journal 1, 2 (1977): 26-29. Reprinted in Curtis Roads,
     ed. _Foundations of Computer Music_ (MIT Press, 1985).
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chareyron, J. "Digital Synthesis of Self-modifying
Waveforms by Means of Linear Automata", Computer
Music Journal, Vol 14 No. 4, 1990.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: The synthesizer / John Bates.
Publisher: Oxford : Oxford University Press, Music Dept., 1988.
Series Name: Oxford topics in music
 Subjects: Synthesizer (Musical instrument)--Juvenile literature.
           Musical instruments, Electronic--Juvenile literature.
           Computer music--History and criticism--Juvenile literature.
           Synthesizer (Musical instrument)
           Musical instruments, Electronic.
           Computer music--History and criticism.
     ISBN: 0-19-321337-0
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: The synthesizer and electronic keyboard handbook / David
            Crombie ; [foreword by Thomas Dolby].
Publisher: New York, N.Y. : Knopf : Distributed by Random House, 1984.
 Subjects: Synthesizer (Musical instrument)--Instruction and study.
           Electronic keyboard (Synthesizer)
     ISBN: 0-394-72711-8 (pbk.) : $13.95
     ISBN: 0-394-54084-0 : $25.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Synthesizer basics / by Dean Friedman.
Publisher: New York : Amsco Publications : Exclusive distributor,
            Music Sales Corp., c1986.
 Subjects: Synthesizer (Musical instrument)
     ISBN: 0-8256-2409-6 (pbk.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Synthesizer basics / by the editors of Keyboard magazine.
Publisher: Milwaukee, WI : H. Leonard Pub. Corp., c1984.
Series Name: The Keyboard synthesizer library ; v. 1
 Subjects: Synthesizer (Musical instrument)--Instruction and study.
           Electronic music--Instruction and study.
     ISBN: 0-88188-289-5 (pbk.) : $8.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Synthesizer basics / edited by Brent Hurtig from the pages
            of Keyboard magazine. (rev. ed)
Publisher: Milwaukee, WI : H. Leonard Books, c1988.
Series Name: The Keyboard magazine basic library
    Notes: Cover subtitle: The musician's reference for creating,
            performing, and recording electronic music.
 Subjects: Synthesizer (Musical instrument)--Instruction and study.
           Electronic music--Instruction and study.
     ISBN: 0-88188-714-5 (pbk.) : $12.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Synthesizer orchestration : a creative approach for the
            arranger and synthesist includes cassette recording of
            musical examples / by Steve Quinzi.
Publisher: Miami Fla. : Studio 224, c1987.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Synthesizer programming / edited by Dominic Milano ; by the
            editors of Keyboard magazine.
Publisher: Milwaukee, WI : Hal Leonard Books, c1987.
Series Name: Keyboard synthesizer library
 Subjects: Synthesizer (Musical instrument)
     ISBN: 0-88188-550-9 (pbk.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Synthesizer technique / by the editors of Keyboard
            magazine.
Publisher: Milwaukee, WI : H. Leonard Books, c1987.
Series Name: The Keyboard synthesizer library
Subjects: Synthesizer (Musical instrument)
     ISBN: 0-88188-715-3 (pbk.) : $12.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Casio FZ-1 & FZ-10M digital sampling synthesizer : the
                      essential guide to practical applications / Joe
                      Scacciaferro, Steve DeFuria.

Publisher: Milwaukee, WI, USA : Hal Leonard Books, c1988.
 Subjects: Synthesizer (Musical instrument)
     ISBN: 0-88188-967-9 : $14.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Synthesizermusik und Live-Elektronik : geschichtliche,
            technologische, kompositorische und padagogische Aspekte
            der elektronischen Musik / Gunther Batel, Dieter Salbert.
Publisher: Wolfenbuttel : Moseler, c1985.
 Subjects: Electronic music--Instruction and study.
           Computer music--Instruction and study.
           Synthesizer (Musical instrument)
     ISBN: 3-7877-3534-8
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Synthesizers and computers / by the editors of Keyboard
            magazine.
Publisher: Milwaukee, WI : H. Leonard Pub. Corp., c1985.
Series Name: The Keyboard synthesizer library ; v. 3
    Notes: Contributions by Bob Moog and others.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Synthesizers and computers / edited by Brent Hurtig.
Publisher: Milwaukee, Wis. : H. Leonard Pub. Corp., c1987.
Series Name: Keyboard magazine basic library
 Subjects: Computer music--Instruction and study.
           Synthesizer (Musical instrument)
           MIDI (Standard)
     ISBN: 0-88188-716-1 (pbk.) : $12.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Electronic music: a handbook of sound synthesis & control
            [by] M. L. Eaton.
Publisher: [Kansas City, Mo., ORCUS, 1969]
Series Name: ORCUS technical publication, TP-3003
 Subjects: Electro-acoustics.
           Electronic music--Instruction and study.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Electronic music circuits / by Barry Klein.
Publisher: Indianapolis, Ind. : H.W. Sams, c1982.
Series Name: Blacksburg continuing education series
 Subjects: Synthesizer (Musical instrument)--Construction.
           Electronic circuits.
     ISBN: 0-672-21833-X (pbk.) : $16.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Electronic music synthesizers / by Delton T. Horn.
Publisher: Blue Ridge Summit, Pa. : Tab Books, c1980.
 Subjects: Synthesizer (Musical instrument)
     ISBN: 0-8306-9722-5 : $9.95
     ISBN: 0-8306-1167-3 (pbk.) : $5.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Electronic music technology / NRI.
Publisher: Washington, D.C. : McGraw-Hill Continuing Education Center,
            c1988.
 Subjects: Oscillators, Electric--Programmed instruction.
           Musical instruments, Electronic--Programmed instruction.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Author: Kettelkamp, Larry.
    Title: Electronic musical instruments : what they do, how they
            work / Larry Kettelkamp ; foreword by Herbert Deutsch.
Publisher: New York : W. Morrow, 1984.
    Notes: Explains the principles of electronic music, discusses the
            uses of such electronic instruments as oscillators,
            synthesizers, electronic organs, and sound processors, and
            gives advice on performing and recording electronic music.
 Subjects: Musical instruments, Electronic.
           Musical instruments, Electronic.
           Electronic music.
     ISBN: 0-688-02781-4
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: The Art of electronic music / compiled by Tom Darter ;
            edited by Greg Armbruster.
Publisher: New York : Quill, c1984.
    Notes: "...Edited from material originally published in Keyboard
            magazine from 1975 to 1983"--T.p. verso.
 Subjects: Electronic music--History and criticism.
           Musical instruments, Electronic.
           Synthesizer (Musical instrument)
           Musicians--Interviews.
     ISBN: 0-688-03106-4 (pbk.) : $15.95
     ISBN: 0-688-03105-6

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: The liberation of sound : an introduction to electronic
                      music / by Herbert Russcol ; new introduction by Otto
                      Luening ; preface by Jacques Barzun.
Publisher: New York : Da Capo Press, 1994.
Series   : Da Capo Press music reprint series
    Notes: Reprint. Originally published: Englewood Cliffs, N.J. :
 Subjects: Electronic music--History and criticism.
     ISBN: 0-306-76263-3 : $35.00

-------------------------- MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS -------------------------

Moorer, James A. and Grey, John: "Lexicon of Analyzed Tones";
Computer Music Journal, volume 1 Number 2, volume 1 number 3,
volume 2 number 2, volume 2 number 3, and continuing

The first installment of the lexicon was an analysis of a violin tone.
The second analyzed Clarinet and Oboe tones, and the third presented an
analysis of a trumpet tone.

These analyses included spectral plots (time versus amplitude for the first
21 partials), spectrographic plots (frequency versus amplitude), and amplitude
and frequency versus time plots for the first sixteen partials.  Additional
information is given about formants of the instruments and the analysis
and resynthesis methods which the authors used (The analysis was done with
a Heterodyne Filter algorithm).  While the authors claim that the tones
were resynthesized and were nearly indistinguishable from the originals, they
ARE only single, specific notes played on a specific example of the original
instrument, so, while they would be a good starting point for re-synthesis of
an instrument, they are by no means sufficient.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: The acoustical foundations of music / John Backus.
  Edition: 2d ed.
Publisher: New York : Norton, c1977.
 Subjects: Music--Acoustics and physics.
     ISBN: 0-393-09096-5 : $10.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author   : Douglas, Alan
Title    : Electronic Musical Instrument Manual
Published: 1961 (sorry no more info available)

------------------------------ COMPOSITION -----------------------------

    Title: Electronic music composition for beginners / Robert Train
            Adams.
Publisher: Dubuque, Iowa : Wm. C. Brown, c1986.
Subjects: Electronic composition.
     ISBN: 0-697-00457-0 (pbk.)

--------------------------- COMPUTER MUSIC ----------------------------

Languages for Computer Music/Real Time Control
        Mathews (The Music "N" languages) (No reference handy)
        Dannenberg et al, "Arctic...", CMJ 10(4)
        Dannenberg "Canon", CMJ???, "Fugue" ICMC89
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 TITLE:   The music machine : selected readings from "Computer music journal" /
          ed. by Curtis Roads
 IMPRINT: Cambridge, Masschusetts, [etc.] : MIT Press, 1989 * XIV, 725 p. :
          ill. ; 26 cm
 NAMES:   Roads, Curtis
 ISBN:    0-262-18131-2 m
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 TITLE:   Informatique et musique : session musicologique de l'International
          computer music conference organisee par l'equipe ERATTO [a] Paris,
          IRCAM, 24 octobre 1984 / [textes reunis et presentes par Helene
          Charnasse]
 IMPRINT: Ivry-sur-Seine : Elmeratto, 1988 * 145 p. ; 30 cm
 SERIES:  Publications Elmeratto
 NAMES:   Charnasse, Helene * (1984 ; Parijs)
 ISBN:    2-902671-07-5 m
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 AUTHOR:  Manning, Peter
 TITLE:   Electronic and computer music / [by] Peter Manning
 EDITION: Repr.
 IMPRINT: Oxford : Clarendon Press, 1988 * VI, 292 p. : ill. ; 22 cm
 ISBN:    0-19-311923-4 m p * 0-19-311918-8 v
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 AUTHOR:  Davis, Deta S.
 TITLE:   Computer applications in music : a bibliography / [by] Deta S. Davis
 IMPRINT: Madison, Wisconsin : A-R Editions, 1988 * XVIII, 537 p. ; 24 cm
 SERIES:  The computer music and digital audio series ; vol. 4
 ISBN:    0-89579-225-7         $49.95
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 AUTHOR:  Bartle, Barton K.
 TITLE:   Computer software in music and music education : a guide / by Barton
          K. Bartle
 IMPRINT: Metuchen, N.J., [etc.] : Scarecrow Press, 1987 * XIV, 252 p. ; 22 cm
 ISBN:    0-8108-2056-0 m
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 TITLE:   Foundations of computer music / ed. by Curtis Roads [and] John Strawn
 EDITION: 3rd print.
 IMPRINT: Cambridge, Massachusetts, [etc.] : MIT Press, 1987 * XX, 712 p. ; 23
          cm
 NAMES:   Roads, Curtis * Strawn, John
 ISBN:    0-262-68051-3 m * 0-262-18114-2 v
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 TITLE:   Computer music / [ed.-in-chief: Anthony I. Wasserman]
 IMPRINT: New York : ACM, 1985 * 120 p. : ill. ; 26 cm
 SERIES:  Computing surveys ; vol. 17, nr. 2. 0360-0300
 NAMES:   Wasserman, Anthony I.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Computer Music Association source book : activities and
            resources in computer music / compiled and edited by Craig
            R. Harris and Stephen T. Pope.
Publisher: [San Francisco, CA, USA] (P.O. Box 1634, San Francisco
            94101-1634) : The Association, c1987.
 Subjects: Computer Music Association--Directories.
           Computer music--Directories.
           Computer music--History and criticism--Bibliography.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Computers and musical style / David Cope.
Publisher: Madison, Wis. : A-R Editions, c1991.
   Series: The Computer music and digital audio series ; v. 6
 Subjects: Computer composition.
     ISBN: 0-89579-256-7 (hardcover)

The book includes (LISP) source code to significant parts of his EMI
system (Experiments in Musical Intelligence). For the non-technical reader
there is a brief introduction to LISP programming.  There are numerous
examples of programs applied to examples from musical literature, (Bach,
Mozart, Schubert, Stravinsky and many others). The program produces an
analysis of the regularities in two or more pieces of the same style and
uses these as "signiatures" to generate a new piece in that style. Cope's
methodology is derived from a mixture of classical AI (or rule based)
models and linguistic grammars (Augmented Transition Network).

The results are interesting and can be remarkable. But I have to add that
there are significant problems with the methods. The system seems good at
capturing very local phenomena, (such as cadence formulae), but is
ill-conditioned for capturing more global aspects of musical structure
(such as melodic coherence, harmonic interest, &c). These problems have
been acknowledged by the author but I think they are unsolvable in the
current working paradigm.
                                Michael Casey <[email-masked]>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: New music composition / David Cope.
Publisher: New York : Schirmer Books, c1977.
 Subjects: Composition (Music)
     ISBN: 0-02-870630-7
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ames, C. 1982, Protocol: Motivation, Design and Production of a
Composition for Solo Piano, "Interface", 2:11.

Cope, D., 1987, An Expert System for Computer-Assisted Composition,
"Computer Music Journal", 11:4.

Loy, G., 1985, Programming with Computers- a Survey of Some
Compositional Formalisms and Music Programming Languages, in "Current
Directions in Computer Music Research", ed. Max Matthews and John
Pierce, Cambridge: MIT press.

Loy, G. 1991, Connectionism and Musiconomy, "International Computer
Music Conference Proceedings", CMA, 1991.

Schottstaedt, W., 1989, Automatic Counterpoint, in "Current Directions
in Computer Music Research", ed. Max Matthews and John Pierce,
Cambridge: MIT press.

Todd, P., 1989, A Connectionist Approach to Algorithmic Composition,
"Computer Music Journal", 13:4.

Winograd, T., 1968, Linguistics and the Computer Analysis of Tonal
Harmony, "Journal of Music Theory", 12:1

------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT:

                           MUSIC AND CONNECTIONISM
                                  edited by
                       Peter M. Todd and D. Gareth Loy

MUSIC AND CONNECTIONISM is now available from MIT Press.  This 280-pp. book
contains a wide variety of recent research in the applications of neural
networks and other connectionist methods to the problems of musical listening
and understanding, performance, composition, and aesthetics.  It consists of a
core of articles that originally appeared in the Computer Music Journal, along
with several new articles by Kohonen, Mozer, Bharucha, and others, and new
addenda to the original articles describing the authors' most recent work.
Topics covered range from models of psychological processing of pitches,
chords, and melodies, to algorithmic composition and performance factors.  A
wide variety of connectionist models are employed as well, including
back-propagation in time, Kohonen feature maps, ART networks, and Jordan- and
Elman-style networks.  We've also included a discussion generated by the
Computer Music Journal articles on the use and place of connectionist systems
in artistic endeavors.  A more detailed description of the book is provided
below (from the jacket text), along with the complete table of contents.

MUSIC AND CONNECTIONISM can be found in bookstores that carry MIT Press
publications, or can be purchased directly from MIT Press by calling their
toll-free order number, 1-800-356-0343, and giving the operator this catalog
number: 1CSAT 503, and this book code: TODMH.  By phone and mail-order, the
price is $39.95; in stores, it will probably be $45 (there is some confusion
with the publisher on this point, so I wanted to give out the detailed
information for phone orders to save people some money).
******************************************************************************
                           Music and Connectionism
                  edited by Peter M. Todd and D. Gareth Loy

As one of our highest expressions of thought and creativity, music has always
been a difficult realm to capture, model, and understand.  The connectionist
paradigm, now beginning to provide insights into many realms of human
behavior, offers a new and unified viewpoint from which to investigate the
subtleties of musical experience.  Music and Connectionism provides a
fresh approach to both fields, using techniques of connectionism and parallel
distributed processing to look at a wide range of topics in music research,
from pitch perception to chord fingering to composition.

The contributors, leading researchers in both music psychology and neural
networks, address the challenges and opportunities of musical applications of
network models.  The result is a current and thorough survey that advances our
understanding of musical perception, cognition, composition, and performance
and of the design and analysis of networks.

Music and Connectionism is based on a core of articles originally appearing as
two special issues of the Computer Music Journal.  These have been augmented
with addenda covering more recent research by the authors.  The book opens
with tutorial chapters introducing neural networks in a musical context and
relevant aspects of previous computer music research, making this a
self-contained text.  There are many new chapters, along with new section
introductions, summaries of related work, and a final debate on the artistic
implications of connectionist methods.

Peter M. Todd is a doctoral candidate in the PDP Research Group of the
Psychology Department at Stanford University.  Gareth Loy DMA is an
award-winning composer, member of the Board of Directors of the Computer Music
Association, lecturer in the Music Department of UC San Diego, and member of
the technical staff of Frox Inc.

Contents:

Preface and Introduction
                Peter M. Todd and D. Gareth Loy

Part 1: Background
        Machine Tongues XII: Neural Networks
                Mark Dolson
        Connectionism and Musiconomy
                D. Gareth Loy

Part 2: Perception and Cognition
        A Neural Net Model for Pitch Perception
                Hajime Sano and B. Keith Jenkins
        Connectionist Models for Tonal Analysis
                Don L. Scarborough, Ben O. Miller, and Jacqueline A. Jones
        The Representation of Pitch in a Neural Net Model of Chord Classificatio
n
                Bernice Laden and Douglas H. Keefe
        Pitch, Harmony, and Neural Nets:  A Psychological Perspective
                Jamshed J. Bharucha
        The Ontogenesis of Tonal Semantics:  Results of a Computer Study
                Marc Leman
        Modeling the Perception of Tonal Structure with Neural Nets
                Jamshed J. Bharucha and Peter M. Todd
        Using Connectionist Models to Explore Complex Musical Patterns
                Robert O. Gjerdingen
        The Quantization of Musical Time: A Connectionist Approach
                Peter Desain and Henkjan Honing

Part 3: Applications
        A Connectionist Approach to Algorithmic Composition
                Peter M. Todd
        Connectionist Music Composition Based on Melodic, Stylistic, and
          Psychophysical Constraints
                Michael C. Mozer
        Creation By Refinement and the Problem of Algorithmic Music Composition
                J.P. Lewis
        A Nonheuristic Automatic Composing Method
                Teuvo Kohonen, Pauli Laine, Kalev Tiits, and Kari Torkkola
        Fingering for String Instruments with the Optimum Path Paradigm
                Samir I. Sayegh

Part 4: Conclusions
        Letter from Otto Laske
        Responses to Laske by Todd and Loy
        Further Research and Directions
              Peter M. Todd

List of Author Addresses

------------------------------------------------------------------------

                             BOOK ANNONNCEMENT

Representations of Musical Signals
edited by Giovanni De Poli, Aldo Piccialli, and Curtis Roads
Published by MIT Press, 1991
ISBN 0-262-04113-8, 478 pages, hardcover, US$ 50.00

Representations of Musical Signals describes a new generation of digital
audio and computer music systems made possible by recent advances in
digital signal processing theory, hardware design, and programming
techniques. It explores new representations of musical signals that can
have profund effects on the way musicians conceive of and realize musical
ideas. In particular, the book focuses on models that combine time-domain
and frequency-domain representations (grains, wavelets, and physical
models), visual programming and advanced user interfaces, and that
incorporate musical knowledge using artificial intelligence techniques and
adaptive neural net- works.  The 14 contributions take up issues of how
musical signals should be displayed to musicians, engineers, and scientists
who want to work with them, how professionals can work with the
representations to accomplish musical tasks, how systems can be designed to
permit working with multiple views of the same signal, and how representa-
tions of musical signals should be organized to promote efficient
communication between devices using these signals.

Representations of Musical Signals is aimed at the expanding group of
musicians, engineers, and scientists who are interested in innovative
approache to digital audio and computer music. We expect that this book
will be useful in undergraduate and graduate courses in computer music,
musical acoustics, and digital audio signal processing.

Giovanni De Poli is a member of the faculty of the Department of
Electronics and Informatics at the University of Padua.  Aldo Piccialli is
a member of the faculty of the Department of Physics at the University of
Naples. Curtis Roads is a composer and consulting editor of Computer Music
Journal.

INDEX

     Contributors                                             xi
     Preface                                                xiii

I    TIME-FREQUENCY REPRESENTATIONS OF
     MUSICAL SIGNALS                                           1

     Overview                                                  3
     A. Piccialli

1    Timbre Analysis by Synthesis: Representations,
     limitations, and Variants for Musical
     Composition                                               7
     J.C. Risset

2    Application of Time-Frequency and Time-Scale
     Methods (Wavelet Transforms) to the Analysis,
     Synthesis, and Transformation of Natural
     Sounds                                                   45
     R. Kronland-Martinet and A. Grossman

3    Analysis, Transformation, and Resynthesis of
     Musical Sounds with the Help of a Time-Frequency
     Representation                                           87
     D. Arfib

4    Wavelet Transforms that We Can Play                     119
     G. Evangelista

II   GRANULAR REPRESENTATIONS OF MUSICAL SIGNALS             137

     Overview                                                139
     G. De Poli

5    Asynchronous Granular Synthesis                         143
     C. Roads

6    Pitch-Synchronous Granular Synthesis                    187
     G. De Poli and A. Piccialli

III  PHYSICAL MODEL REPRESENTATIONS OF MUSICAL SIGNALS       221

     Overview                                                223
     G. De Poli

7    The Physical Model: Modeling and Simulating the
     Instrumental Universe                                   227
     J. Florens and C. Cadoz

8    The Missing Link: Modal Synthesis                       269
     J.-M. Adrien

9    Synthesizing Singing                                    299
     J. Sundberg

IV   ARCHITECTURES AND OBJECT REPRESENTATIONS OF
     MUSICAL SIGNALS                                         321

     Overview                                                323
     C. Roads

10   Music, Signals, and Representations: A Survey           325
     uy Garnett

11   An Object-based Representation for Digital
     Audio Signals                                           371

12   New Generation Architectures for Music and
     Sound Processing                                        391
     S. Cavaliere

V    PARALLEL DISTRIBUTED PROCESSING REPRESENTATIONS
     OF MUSICAL SIGNALS                                      413

     Overview                                                415
     A. Piccialli

13   Understanding Music Cognition: A Connectionist View     417
     C. Lischka

14   Qualitative Aspects of Signal Processing Through
     Dynamic Neural Networks                                 447
     R. D'Autilia and F. Guerra

     Name Index                                              463
     Subject Index                                           467
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 92 11:16 MET
From: [email-masked]
Subject: New book on Computer Music, Music Cognition and AI

NEW BOOK ON COMPUTER MUSIC, MUSIC COGNITION AND AI

The research presented in "Music, Mind and Machine: Studies in Computer
Music, Music Cognition and Artificial Intelligence" by Peter Desain and
Henkjan Honing finds its basis in the fields of musicology, psychology and
computer science. Nowadays each of these domains is linked to the other in
various research disciplines. In computer music, ways to design machines to
make music are explored. In music cognition, mental processes that perceive
and apprehend music are investigated. In artificial intelligence the mind is
approached as a machine - and machines are built to learn more about the
mind.

The articles collected in this volume focus on the perception and
representation of musical time and temporal structure, commonly identified
as a research area crucial to the understanding of the complex processes that
enable us to enjoy and perform music. Most of the theories are illustrated
with small concrete computer programs. As such it could serve as a text book
for courses in the field of computer music and music cognition.

Peter Desain and Henkjan Honing have collaborated for the last seven years
at the City University, London and the Centre for Knowledge Technology,
Utrecht. They combine their different backgrounds in computer science,
psychology, and music, and share a fascination with the computational
modelling approach to music perception and performance. Peter Desain
currently works on rhythm perception at the University of Nijmegen,
Henkjan Honing does research on the formalisation of musical knowledge at
the University of Amsterdam.

CONTENTS
I Overview
        Introduction
        Tempo curves considered harmful
II Perception
        The quantization problem: traditional and connectionist approaches
        Quantization of musical time: a connectionist approach
        A connectionist and a traditional AI quantizer, symbolic versus
                sub-symbolic models of rhythm perception
        A (de)composable theory of rhythm perception
        Autocorrelation and the study of musical expression
III Representation
        Issues in the representation of time and structure in music
        Time functions function best as functions of multiple times
        Towards a calculus for expressive timing in music
IV Methodology
        Lisp as a second language: functional aspects
        Parsing the Parser, a case study in programming style
        LOCO: a composition microworld in logo
        POCO: an environment for analysing, modifying, and
                generating expression in music

ORDERING INFORMATION
"Music, Mind and Machine" by Peter Desain and Henkjan Honing.
ISBN 90 5170 149 7, 330 pp., paperback, price US$ 25/Dfl. 45/Bfr. 900. All
major credits cards accepted. Postage and handling will be charged
additionally. It is available from:

Thesis Publishers, PO Box 14791,
1001 LG Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Tel. (31) 20 - 62 55 429/Fax (31) 20 - 62 03 395
or
i.d.b., Ltd., 24 Hudson Street, Kinderhook, NY 12106
Tel. Toll free 1 800 343 3531 or (518) 758 1411
Fax (518) 758 1959
------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: [email-masked] (Robert Rowe)
Subject: Book Announcement: Interactive Music Systems
Date: 28 Oct 92 21:43:55 GMT

Interactive Music Systems
Machine Listening and Composing
Robert Rowe

For the growing number of professionals in computer music -- composers,
performers, and teachers -- who are looking for more from the computer
music systems that are now available, _Interactive Music Systems_ provides
the first comprehensive survey and evaluation of new computer programs that
can analyze and compose music in live performance.

Although Rowe focuses primarily on musical motivations and possibilities of
interactive systems, he also takes up such practical considerations as how
to build, analyze, and extend these systems, and he looks at the impact of
music theory, music cognition, and artificial intelligence on the design of
interactive systems and on ensemble performance. He describes in detail
both the theory and practice of his own real-time interactive music
program, Cypher, and further illustrates basic concepts and characteristic
issues using the graphic MIDI programming environment Max.

In a concluding chapter, Rowe assesses developments in hardware and
software with implications for the evolution of interactive systems,
including their implementation in multiple-processor environments, the
impact of real-time digital signal processing, and extended prospects for
sensing performance gesture.

Interactive Music Systems CD-ROM This supplement to Interactive Music
Systems contains audio and program examples that document a variety of
systems and the music they produce. An extensive library of Macintosh
software allows the user to experiment with or adapt existing interactive
systems.  Some parts of the library require the presence of underlying
software environments, such as SmallTalk, LISP, or Opcode's Max language.
The program discussed most extensively in the text, Robert Rowe's Cypher,
will run on any Macintosh computer with no additional software required.

Both the book ($35) and the CD-ROM ($19.95) can be ordered from The MIT
Press/55 Hayward Street/Cambridge, MA 02142/ USA
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 92 10:42:21 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Otto Laske)
Subject: Understanding Music with AI

Dear Colleagues,
        UMAI, "Understanding Music with AI" has appeared at the
AAAI Press, distributed by The MIT Press. Its ISBN is 0-262-52170-9
Ballup. It has a foreword by Marvin Minsky, and comprises 21
chapters on music cognition and cognitive musicology.
        Otto Laske
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Machine Models of Music
>From Minsky to Mozart
edited by Stephan Schwanauer and David Levitt
Cambridge: MIT Press, 1993
ISBN 0-262-19319-1 $45

Machine Models of Music brings together representative models ranging from
Mozart's "Musical Dice Game" to a classical article by Marvin Minksy and
current research to illustrate the rich impact that artificial intelligence
has had on the understanding and composition of traditional music and to
demonstrate the ways in which music can push the boundaries of traditional AI
research.

The authors include prominent figures in linguistics (Johan Sundberg,
Ray Jackendoff), computer science and AI (Fred Brooks, Marvin Minsky,
Terry Winograd, Herbert Simon, Peter Neumann), music theory (Allen
Forte), composition (Fred Lerdahl, Charles Ames), psychoacoustics
(Christopher Longuet-Higgins, Jamshed Bharucha), and the odd middle
ground of "computer music" (James Moorer, Hiller and Isaacson).

------------------------------ MAGAZINES ------------------------------

    Title: Electronic musician.
Publisher: [Oklahoma City, OK : Polyphony Pub. Co., c1985-
 Subjects: Electronic music--Periodicals.
Previous Title: Polyphony 0163-4534 (DLC)sn 78002183 (OCoLC)4380626
     ISSN: 0884-4720
Internet:   [email-masked] or [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Keyboard.
Publisher: [Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Music Industry Publications]
 Subjects: Keyboard instruments--Periodicals.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Keyboard.
Publisher: [Cupertino, Calif. : GPI Publications], c1981-
Publisher: Vol. 7, no. 7 (July 1981)-
Previous Title: Contemporary keyboard 0361-5820 (DLC)   76641315
            (OCoLC)2246955
     ISSN: 0730-0158
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Title:   Computer music journal
 IMPR.:   Cambridge, MA
 ISBN:    0148-9267

---------------------- DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING ----------------------

"Discrete-Time Signal Processing"
Allan V. Oppenheim, Ronald W. Schafer
Englewood Cliffs, NJ : Prentice Hall, 1989
 SERIES:  Prentice Hall signal processing series
 ISBN:    0-13-216771-9
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C LANGUAGE ALGORITHMS FOR DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING
Paul M. Embree and Bruce Kimble
Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1990
xvi + 456 pp. + diskette.  Price $44.00, 480pp.
ISBN 13-133406-9

The book includes introductory chapters into DSP, programming tips for
style and efficiency, chapters on filtering, FFT, image processing.
All code in the text is included on the diskette (MS-DOS).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
Introductory Digital Signal Processing
with Computer Applications
by Paul A. Lynn & Wolfgang Fuerst
Publisher: John Wiley & Sons
Copyright 1989, latest reprint January 1992
ISBN 0-471-91564-5
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First Principles of Discrete Systems and Digital Signal Processing
by Robert D. Strum and Donald E. Kirk
ISBN: 0-201-09518-1
Addison-Wesley 1988
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"PC-DSP" by Oktay Alkin (Prentice-Hall
1990, ISBN 0-13-655200-5).  This book is essentially a user's manual
for the accompanying software package.

Here is an interactive software package for performing common digital
signal processing design and analysis calculations quickly and easily.
Within PC-DSP's menu-driven environment, you can generate, analyze, and
process data without needing to remember command syntax.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Title: Digital processing of signals / Bernard Gold and Charles M.
               Rader, with chapters by Alan V. Oppenheim and Thomas G.
                      Stockham, Jr.
    Publ: Malabar, Fla. : Krieger, 1983, c1969.
   Notes: Reprint. Originally published: New York : McGraw-Hill,
                      1969. (Lincoln Laboratory publications)
Subjects: Signal processing--Digital techniques.
    ISBN: 0-89874-548-9
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Title: An introduction to digital signal processing / John H. Karl.
    Publ: San Diego : Academic Press, c1989.
Subjects: Signal processing--Digital techniques.
    ISBN: 0-12-398420-3
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Title: Multirate digital signal processing / Ronald E. Crochiere,
           Lawrence R. Rabiner.
    Publ: Englewood Cliffs, N.J. : Prentice-Hall, c1983.
  Series: Prentice-Hall signal processing series
    ISBN: 0-13-605162-6
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 AUTH:    MacNally, G. W.
 Title:   Digital audio : recursive digital filtering for high quality audio
          signals / [by] G. W. McNally
 IMPR.:   [S.l.] : Research Department, Engineering Division, The Brithish
          Broadcasting Corporation, 1981 * IV, 29 p. ; 30 cm
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Title:   Numerical recipes in C : the art of scientific computing / [by]
          William H. Press, Brian P. Flannery, Saul A. Teukolsky [and] William
          T. Vetterling
 IMPR.:   Cambridge [etc.] : Cambridge U.P., 1988 * 2 dl.  ; 25 cm
 ISBN:    0-521-35465-X m * 0-521-35746-2 m
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blesser, Barry and J. Kates. "Digital Processing in Audio Signals." In A. V.
Oppenheim, ed. Applications of Digital Signal Processing. Englewood Cliffs,
NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1978.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digital Signal Processing Committee of IEEE Acoustics, Speech, and Signal
Processing Society, ed. Programs for Digital Signal Processing. New York:
IEEE Press, 1979.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Digital audio engineering : an anthology / John Strawn,
                editor ; with contributions by James F. McGill ... [et al.].
Publisher: Los Altos, Calif. : W. Kaufmann, c1985.
   Series: The Computer music and digital audio series
 Subjects: Sound--Recording and reproducing--Digital techniques.
 Subjects: Synthesizer (Musical instrument)
     ISBN: 0-86576-087-X
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Digital audio signal processing : an anthology / John
                      Strawn, editor ; with contributions by F. Richard Moore
                      ... [et al.].
Publisher: Los Altos, Calif. : W. Kaufmann, c1985.
   Series: The Computer music and digital audio series
 Subjects: Electronic music--Instruction and study.
 Subjects: Signal processing--Digital techniques.
     ISBN: 0-86576-082-9

I called the publisher (W. Kaufmann) about _Digital Audio Signal
Processing_ and they referred me to A-R Editions, who shipped the book
the next day!  I had it in my grasp in well under a week, via UPS surface.
The shipping charge was $2.50 if I recall correctly.

        A-R Editions
        801 Deming Way
        Madison, Wisconsin 53717
        608-836-9000 (They accept VISA orders)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Interpolation and Decimation of Digital Signals - A Tutorial Review"
by Ronald E. Crochiere and Lawrence R. Rabiner.
This paper is in Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 69, No. 3, 1981, pp.
300-331.

------------------------------ OTHER ------------------------------

Computing in Musicology: A Directory of Research

ed. Walter B. Hewlett and Eleanor Selfridge-Field

Center for Computer Assisted Research in the Humanities
525 Middlefield Road, Suite 120
Menlo Park, CA 94025
(415) 322-7050
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Tuning In - Microtonality in Electronic Music, Scott R.
  Wilkinson. 1988. Hal Leonard Books. ISBN 0-88188-633-5.

Contents:
   1. Music, Mathematics and Microtuning
   2. Acoustics and Psychoacoustics
   3. The History of Tuning and Temperament
   4. Using Tunings
   5. Alternate Tunings and Scales
   6. Tuning Electronic Instruments

Foreword by Wendy Carlos. Bibliography, discography, etc.
Includes details on tuning such instruments as DX7, EPS, etc.

Hal Leonard Books
8112 W. Bluemound Road
Milwaukee, WI 53213
$14.95
120 pgs., illustrated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Well-Tempered Object
        Musical Applications of Object-Oriented Software Technology

        A Structured Anthology on Software Science and Systems
        based on Articles from Computer Music Journal 1980-89

        Compiled and edited by Stephen Travis Pope
        Published by MIT Press, 1991

The Well-Tempered Object is based on a collection of articles
that appeared in Computer Music Journal over the space of ten years
relating to the application of object-oriented (OO) software
technology--the most important new software engineering technology
of the 1980s--to various musical applications. It consists of
articles from Computer Music Journal 4(4), 8(5), 10(4) and 13(2)
along with new chapters and updates to the original texts as
addenda. The authors describe the application of OO technology to
a wide range of areas of computer music and digital audio signal
processing including music representation and composition, real-
time performance, and digital signal processing (DSP). A number of
popular OO programming languages are represented, including Lisp,
Smalltalk-80, and ObjectiveC.

===============
Keywords/Topics
===============
Music software, object-oriented programming, object-oriented
software design, music representation, composition and
performance, graphical user interfaces, DSP programming, single
and multiple inheritance, Actors, OO user interface systems.

Flavors Band, FORMES, Kyma, Platypus, SoundKit, MusicKit, MODE,
HyperScore ToolKit, CreationStation, Javelina, VDSP, TTrees,
Nutation.

NeXT, Macintosh, Sun SPARCstation, LISP, Smalltalk-76 & -80,
ObjectiveC, ACT-1, and DSP languages.

Language and methodology introductions, tool and application
reports, extensive bibliographies, tutorials on OO programming
and OO design.

=======
Outline
=======
        Introduction
        Part 1--OO Machine Tongues
        Part 2--Languages and Systems
        Part 3--OO DSP Tools and Systems
        Author Contact Addresses

=================
Table of Contents
=================
Introduction--Stephen Travis Pope

Part 1: Tutorials and Technology
--------------------------------

Machine Tongues VIII: The Design of a Smalltalk Music System--
Glenn Krasner

Machine Tongues IX: Object-Oriented Programming--Henry Lieberman

Machine Tongues XI: Object-Oriented Software Design--Stephen
Travis Pope

Part 2: Music Representation and Processing Tools
-------------------------------------------------

Flavors Band: A Language for Specifying Musical Style--C. Fry

FORMES: Composition and Scheduling of Processes--Xavier Rodet and
Pierre Cointe

Introduction to MODE: The Musical Object Development Environment--
Stephen Travis Pope

An Overview of the Sound and Music Kits for the NeXT Computer--
David Jaffe and Lee Boynton
Addendum: Sound and Music Kits Version 1.0

Part 3: Composition Systems
---------------------------

The Kyma/Platypus Computer Music Workstation--Carla Scaletti
Addendum: A Kyma Update

An Introduction to the Creation Station--Henry Flurry
Addendum: An Update on the Creation Station

TTrees: A Tool for the Compositional Environment--Glendon Diener
Addendum: A Hierarchical Approach to Music Notation

Part 4: Signal Processing Systems
---------------------------------

Javelina: An Environment for Digital Signal Processor Software
Development--Kurt J. Hebel
Addendum: Filter Design and Optimization Examples

Virtual Digital Signal Processing in an Object-Oriented System--
David K. Mellinger, G. E. Garnett and Bernard Mont-Reynaud

Addresses of Authors

=======
Details
=======
Compiled and Edited by Stephen Travis Pope (Editor of Computer
Music Journal)

ISBN 0-262-16126-5, 200 pages, hardcover, US$ 30.00

Available from:
MIT Press, 55 Hayward St., Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142 USA
Call (617) 625-8569 to order
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
 TITLE:   The language of electroacoustic music / ed. by Simon Emmerson
 IMPRINT: Basingstoke [etc.] : MacMillan Press, 1986 * VIII, 231 p. ; 24 cm
 NAMES:   Emmerson, Simon
 ISBN:    0-333-39759-2 m * 0-333-39760-6 v p
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Composers and the computer / Curtis Roads, editor.
Publisher: Los Altos, Calif. : W. Kaufmann, c1985.
   Series: The Computer music and digital audio series
 Subjects: Computer music--History and criticism.
 Subjects: Computer composition.
     ISBN: 0-86576-085-3
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Principles of digital audio / Ken C. Pohlmann.
Publisher: Indianapolis, Ind., USA : H.W. Sams, 1989.
   Series: Howard W. Sams & Company audio library
 Subjects: sampling, quantizing, CD-I, DAT.
     ISBN: 0-672-22634-0 : $29.95, 474pp.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Advanced digital audio / Ken Pohlmann, editor-in-chief.
Publisher: Carmel, Ind., USA : Howard W. SAMS, c1991.
 Subjects: Sound--Recording and reproducing--Digital techniques, DSP, HDTV.
     ISBN: 0-672-22768-1, 500pp.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Handbook for Sound Engineers, The New Audio Encyclopedia /
                Glen M. Ballou, editor-in-chief
Publisher: Carmel, Ind., USA : Howard W. SAMS, c1991.
 Subjects: MIDI, sound, compact disks, sound system design
     ISBN: 0-672-22752-2, 1500pp.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Modern Recording Techniques, 3rd ed. / D. M. Huber & R. A. Runstein
Publisher: Carmel, Ind., USA : Howard W. SAMS,
 Subjects: digital audio, recording
     ISBN: 0-672-22682-0, 400pp.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Sound recording Handbook / John W. Woram
Publisher: Carmel, Ind., USA : Howard W. SAMS,
 Subjects: sound effects, noise reduction, SMPTE
     ISBN: 0-672-22583-2, 600pp.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: The compact disc : a handbook of theory and use / Ken C.
                      Pohlmann.
   Series: The Computer music and digital audio series ; v. 5
 Subjects: Compact discs.
     ISBN: 0-89579-228-1  $29.95 (paper)
     ISBN: 0-89579-234-6  $45.95 (cloth)
           288 pages
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Curtis Roads, _A Computer Music History: Musical Automation from Antiquity
to the Computer Age_

Dexter Morrill and Rick Taube, _A Little Book of Computer Music
Instruments_
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Introduction to computer music / Wayne Bateman.
Publisher: New York : J. Wiley, c1980.
 Subjects: Computer music--Instruction and study.
 Subjects: Computer composition.
     ISBN: 0-471-05266-3 : $20.00 (est.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
                MUSIC, SOUND and TECHNOLOGY
                by John M. Eargle. (A mini-review)
is published by Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, copyright 1990. Its Library
of Congress number is ML3805.E2 1990.

        This little book turned up on the New Titles shelf in the Physics
and Planetary Science Library at Pitt recently, and I've just finished going
through it. It was a worthwhile enough bit of reading matter that I thought
I'd bring it to the List's attention. This ain't no formal book review, but
then again you all probably knew that already, knowing me, right?

        MS&T is a fairly technical treatment of the acoustics of musical
instruments, almost exlcusively focussing on acoustic instruments that are
featured in the modern orchestral format (hence including a lot of unusual
jazz instruments and percussion devices). It has fairly little math in it,
and requires little or no math background to read, but it does not skimp
on the ideas it brings across-- a novice who knew something about music,
having read this book carefully, would come away with a better understanding
of music and acoustics than many professional sound engineers probably have.
(Based on my own experiences in the field, that is.) The style is a trifle
dry, but is never so technical as to be unreadable. Examples from the public
domain are liberally sprinkled throughout the book, and every chapter ends
with a small bibliography and reference list, often including phonorecords.

        The book begins with a brief review of the physical principles
underlying the creation of sound: waves, sound pressure, units like the
decibel, and so on. Virtually all of the math in the book is contained here,
and it's on the high-school level, not too daunting. Some of the stuff is
quite simple (masses on springs, pendula), but the reader suddenly finds
himself absorbing stuff like "Relations between Direct and Reverberant Fields"
--and understanding it clearly! The organization is clear, and every concept
is prefaced with an explanation of why and where it's important. The next
two chapters complete what Eargle considers the introductory part of the book;
one is on the physiology of hearing and psychoacoustics, ranging from the
localization of sound by the ears and head to the cultural biases inherent in
judging what constitutes "consonance" and "dissonance," and the other is a
brief but relatively well-thought-out review of temperament and tuning scales.

        Chapters 4 through 9 are explanations of the physics of the usual
sorts of sound generators one would find in orchestral of jazz music, and
comparative studies of their pitch and loudness ranges, harmonic structure,
and expressive characteristics in relation to the player's abilities. Strings,
woodwinds, brasses, and percussion devices are given their own chapters, and
keyboards are lumped together in one chapter, despite their differences in
sound creation (which Eargle acknowledges but views as less important than
their similarities). There are all sorts of little gems here-- how to change
the speaking length of a trumpet, what happens to the frequency response of
a piano when you close the lid, how a vibraphone differs from a marimba, etc.
These chapters alone make the book worth a look.

        Chapter 10 explains the philosophy behind the physical organization of
musical ensembles. Why the first and second violins are sometimes seated
together on the left, other times separated, and so on. Chapter 11 is a long
and occasionally quite technical discussion of performance space design, and
of the engineering of suitable halls for speech, music, and worship (there's
a big section on church design). Chapters 12 and 13 discuss the principles of
sound reinforcement and sound recording, with diagrams of speaker placements
and microphone patterns abounding; this is getting into the sort of stuff that
we tend to deal with regularly in EMUSIC-L, and we may have seen it elsewhere,
but at this point we're used to Eargle's delivery and it's more clear than the
usual drek in Home and Studio Recording. Some of the discussion is quite
fascinating (is it better to be shamefully accurate or to correct for acoustic
weaknesses when recording a symphony?), and the material is quite modern in
its presentation: Eargle notes "with nostalgia" the passing of the vinyl LP
from the scene. Overdubbing, Digital recording, and signal processing are
touched on in a straightforward manner, from quad sound systems to delay and
digital reverb. Chapter 14 is a primer on home audio, with explanations of
the LP, cassette, and CD as playback media and commentary on speaker systems.

        Chapter 15 is what you've all been waiting for, the "Overview of Music
Synthesis." It covers the acoustics of transients, steady-state conditions,
and tonal decay, ensemble considerations, working in the frequency vs. the
time domain, and mentions modern developments such as sampling and MIDI. The
entire section is only eight pages long, half of which are figures, but for
the acoustic musician who's unfamiliar with and a bit scared of synthesizers
it's a very easily digestible introduction. The acoustic musician sighs with
relief and says, "So THAT'S all there is to it!" (Of course, it isn't, but it
serves to keep the musician's mind open and unafraid of future learning.) The
author seems to regard these instruments with some degree of wide-eyed wonder,
and perhaps some nervous condescention as well, but he never fails to
recognize them as instruments in their own right, deserving of attention
beside the violins and piccolos. His only classicist comment, which is
probably forgivable under the circumstances, is that "Electronically generated
sounds do not necessarily have to imitate those of traditional instruments,
but the sounds do have to fit into musical contexts." (We'll shelve arguments
on that point for other posts, ok?) The last chapter is a brief touch upon
active noise reduction principles and techniques, and probably should have
been placed between chapters 13 and 14, but at least it's there, if only for
six pages.

        The book weighs in at 290 pages with a reasonably thorough index, and
is published by Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, copyright 1990. Its Library
of Congress number is ML3805.E2 1990. I consider it a refreshing change from
the constant jabber about whether the Amiga can beat the Mac in the MIDI world
or what goes into Differential Loop Modulation in the D-70. It's clear,
readable, and has a lot of worthwhile data that can be put to good use by a
clever musician, electronic or otherwise. Metlay says, check it out.

metlay

[email-masked]
[email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The July 1991 issue of _Computer_, (Vol 24, #7, ISSN 0018-9162), published by
the IEEE Computer Society, has the title "Computer Generated Music", and a
whole bunch of neat articles.

Titles of articles, are followed by Authors, then a description.
(taken from the table of contents)

_Guest Editor's Introduction: Computer Generated Music_
        Denis L. Baggi

_Formula: A Programming Language for Expressive Computer Music_
        David P. Anderson and Ron Kuivila

        Formula, a language for controlling synthesizers, can model the
        expressiveness of a human performance.  It supports algorithmic
        composition, interactive performance, and programmed interpretation
        of traditional scores.

_Recombinant Music: Using the Computer to Explore Musical Style_
        David Cope

        A Computer program that creates new but stylistically recognizable
        music from existing works offers insights into the elusive
        phenomenon of musical style.

_Toward an Expert System for Expressive Musical Performance_
        Margaret L. Johnson

        An expert system processes the melodies of Bach fugues using a model
        that recognizes rhythmic patterns.  It outputs instructions that
        tell performers how to articulate the melodies.

_Fugue: A Functional Language for Sound Synthesis_
        Roger B. Dannenberg, Christopher Lee Fraley, and Peter Velikonja

        Fugue provides functions to create and manipulate sounds as abstract,
        immutable objects.  The interactive language supports behavioral
        abstraction, so composers can manage complex musical structures.

_A Computer Music System that Follows a Human Conductor_
        Hideyuki Morita, Shuji Hashimoto, and Sadamu Ohteru

        An electronic orchestra with a complex performance database and
        MIDI controllers responds to the gestures of a conductor through
        a CCD camera and a sensor glove.

_Project Overviews: Current Research in Computer Generated Music_
        Stephen W. Smoliar, Goffredo Haus, Alberto Sametti, Denis L. Baggi,
        Antonio Camurri, Corrado Canepa, Marcello Frixione, Renato Zaccaria,
        Yap Siong Chua, and Robert Keefe

        Six overviews reflect varied ongoing research.  Reporting from
        such diverse locales as Singapore, Europe, and the US, the authors
        explore the spheres of computer-aided composition, synthesis of
        musical scores, computer simulation, and composing by musical
        analog.

The six overviews look more interesting than the description.  Of course,
all of the above articles have references, so you can go look up more
information.

_Standards_
        Standard Music Description Language

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, Coming Fall 1991:

_Readings in Computer-Generated Music_
        edited by Denis Baggi

        This new tutorial is a collection of 11 important articles, reprinted
        from the July 1991 special issue of _Computer_ on computer-
        generated music, plus a number of important articles omitted due
        to space limitations.  These papers include all the articles from
        this issue either in their entirety or in an expanded version.  A
        companion CD and audiocassette will also be available for sale.

        250 pages, November. 1991, hardbound, catalog No. 2367
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: The Byte book of computer music / edited by Christopher P.
            Morgan.
Publisher: Peterborough, N.H. : Byte Books, c1979.
 Subjects: Computer music--Instruction and study.
           Computer composition.
     ISBN: 0-931718-11-2
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Electronic music / Andy Mackay.
Publisher: Minneapolis, Minn. : Control Data Publishing, 1981.
Series Name: The Covent Garden music guides ; No. 2
 Subjects: Musical instruments, Electronic.
           Electronic music--History and criticism.
     ISBN: 0-89893-504-0 : $19.95
     ISBN: 0-89893-302-1 (pbk.) : $10.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Electronic music : systems, techniques, and controls /
            Allen Strange ; forward by Gordon Mumma.
Publisher: Dubuque, Iowa : W.C. Brown Co., c1983.
 Subjects: Electronic music--Instruction and study.
           Electronic composition.
     ISBN: 0-697-03602-2 (pbk.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Electronic music dictionary : a glossary of the specialized
            terms relating to the music and sound technology of today
            / by Bo Tomlyn & Steve Leonard.
Publisher: Milwaukee, WI, U.S.A. : H. Leonard Books, c1988.
 Subjects: Electronic music--Dictionaries.
     ISBN: 0-88188-904-0 : $5.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: The electronic music dictionary / by W.D. Coakley.
Publisher: Lantana, Fla. (315 North Lake Drive, Suite 16, Lantana,
            Florida 33462) : W.D. Coakley, c1988.
 Subjects: Electronic music--Dictionaries.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Electronic music production / by Alan Douglas.
Publisher: Blue Ridge Summit, Pa. : Tab Books, c1982.
 Subjects: Musical instruments, Electronic.
           Electronic music--History and criticism.
     ISBN: 0-8306-1418-4 (pbk.) : $7.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: The electronic musician's dictionary / Craig Anderton.
Publisher: New York : Amsco Publications : Exclusive distributors
            Music Sales Corp., c1988.
 Subjects: Electronic music--Dictionaries.
     ISBN: 0-8256-1125-3
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Multi-track recording / edited by Dominic Milano from the
            pages of Keyboard magazine.
Publisher: Milwaukee, WI : H. Leonard Books, c1988.
   Series: The Keyboard magazine basic library
           (Keyboard synthesizer library)
 Subjects: Sound--Recording and reproducing.
     ISBN: 0-88188-552-5 (pbk.) : $12.95
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Title:   Electronic music reports / Institute of Sonology at Utrecht
          University
 IMPR.:   Utrecht University
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Electronic music synthesis; concepts, facilities,
                      techniques [by] Hubert S. Howe, Jr.
Publisher: New York, W. W. Norton [1975]
 Subjects: Electronic music--Instruction and study.
 Subjects: Music--Acoustics and physics.
 Subjects: Musical instruments, Electronic.
 Subjects: Computer composition.
     ISBN: 0-393-09257-3
------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: Electronic music : a listener's guide / Elliott Schwartz
Publisher: New York : Da Capo Press, 1989, c1975.
   Series: Da Capo Press music reprint series
 Subjects: Electronic music--History and criticism.
     ISBN: 0-306-76260-9 : $29.50

================================= END ====================================

>From <@AUVM.AMERICAN.EDU:[email-masked]> Thu Aug  5 21:35 WET 1993
Date:         Thu, 5 Aug 1993 15:27:27 -0400
Reply-To: Electronic Music Discussion List <[email-masked]>
From: "Lawrence W. Hartzell" <[email-masked]>
Comments: To: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list EMUSIC-L <[email-masked]>
Status: RO

To:      [email-masked]
Subject: Re: text rec
Although the Walter PIston Orchestration text is good and still worthy
of consultation, as a teacher of Orchestration I feel it has been
replaced by the Samuel Adler book entitled THE STUDY OF ORCHESTRATION.
 This book comes with a workbook that is well organized and should be
possible to use in self-study more.  Another good text for taking
piano scores and orchestrating them is Joseph Wagner's book
ORCHESTRATION: A PRACTICAL HANDBOOK.  It also comes with a workbook
and is easier to use in self-study mode than the Adler.  Whatever you
do, do not go for the Rimsky Korsakov text PRINCIPLES OF
ORCHESTRATION.  It is an excellent text but in the Dover format is
useful only to those with a good working knowledge of orchestration.
Hope this helps.

#######################################################################

** >Is there anybody on the world, who can help me to find a book
** >"Foundations of Sound Synthesis" by John Chowning ?

** These are the only references I have for Chowning:

** J. Chowning
** "The Synthesis of Complex Audio Spectra by Means of Frequency
** Modulation"
** J. Audio Eng. Soc. 21, no. 7 (1973):526-534
** [This is the standard reference.]

----> yes, but in "Foundations..." (where nb. this paper is reprinted)
      there are his newer concepts of more complexive FM synthesis, which
      I'm looking for...

** J. Chowning and D. Bristow
** "FM Theory and Applications by Musicians for Musicians"
** Yamaha Music Foundation, Tokyo, 1986
** ISBN 4-636-17482-8

----> thanx for this, it sounds interesting, especialy because of YAMAHA's
      activity in the field of FM.

In addition: I have found an interesting paper about reconstruction algorithm
for FM natural sound simulating. If anybody is still interested in FM
synthesis, but in software means, please to contact. I'm going to work at
smart program for converting sampled sound to DX's programm parameters.

#######################################################################

> Title:
> -----
Music Synthesizers
A Manual of Design and Construction

> Author:
> ------
Delton T. Horn

> Language: (e.g. if not english)
> --------
English

> Audience: (e.g. technical ? non-tech ? simple ?)
> --------
Technical, but I would have liked more background.  It's more cookbookish
than theory.

> Publisher:
> ---------
TAB Books

> ISBN Number:
> -----------
0-8306-0565-7
0-8306-1565-2 (pbk.)

> Summary/Abstract (breif):
> ------------------------
Covers all types of circuits from VCO's and VCF's to clippers, brighteners,
distortion, etc.  Rudimentary circuit descriptions without much explanation 
on theory.  Has pinouts for some SSM and CEM chips.  

> 
> Keywords:
> --------
> 
> Still in Print ?: (if you know)
> ----------------
I don't think so.  Dated 1984.

> Price: (if you can remember)
> -----
Used $17.50  (was originally 16.95 !!)

> Where and when bought (if you can remember):
> -------------------------------------------
Powell's Technical Bookstore, Portland Oregon
November, 1993

########################################################################

Here are some details of books that y'all may find interesting....

_The Complete guide to Synthesisers_  Devarahi (Prentice Hall 1982)
ISBN 0 13 160630
If you have an ARP2600 and no idea how it works this is the book for you :)
Lots of block diagrams on doing basic patching

_Electronic Music & creative tape recording_ MK Berry (Babani 1978)
ISBN 0 900162 72 4
Tape tips, crude circuits for 1V/Oct VCO, vcf with diode ladder, vca, mixer,
noise source, analog sequencer etc

Who was doing the book list?  I cant find your address! I wouldnt mind putting
the book list into a WWW html format.
-- 
James Andrews, Computer Development Officer, Exeter University Maths Dept

----

Electronic Music, 2nd Edition, by Allen Strange
The Complete Guide to Synthesizers, by Devarahi
The Synthesizer - A four volume set published by Roland (hard to find)
The Art of Electronic Music - Compiled by Tom Darter and Greg Ar

######################################################################

van valkenburg , m. e. (mac elwyn)
analog filter design.

isbn 0-03-059246-1

1982 by holt, rinehart and winston, inc.
######################################################################

I would add that for non technical types, Don Lancasters'
"Active Filter Cookbook" is very easy to use. And yes, technicial
information is included as well.

The ISBN's for the two books mentioned by R. Fahl are:

Klein  0-6722-1833-x
Henry  0-8306-0255-0 / 0-8306-2755-3 (paperback)

######################################################################