Snake Oil Mead recipe
Recipe copyright (C)1995 Forrest Cook and Jonathan Corbet
Brewed 10/24/1995, Bottled 1/4/1996, Size 10 Gallons
Specific Gravity Reading, 2 carboys averaged:
- 15 lbs Madhava alfalfa honey
- 500 grams ginger root (weighed before peeling & slicing)
- 1 cup Chinese red ginseng root pieces
- 2 tbsp gypsum
- 1 pack Lalvin EC-1118 Wine Yeast prestarted in warm honey water
- 1-1/2 cup corn sugar (bottling)
This brew will definitely cure what ales you, the ginseng flavor
is nice and rooty, it takes the edge off of the ginger and the
two flavors blend wonderfully. This stuff has healing powers,
will cure baldness and can take 10 years of age off of anybody
who's old enough to drink it.
It keeps getting better with age, like most dry meads.
- OG 1.055 @ 81 deg F
- FG 0.994 @ 64 deg F
Back to the Mead Maker's Page.